Why Do I Need This Class? A Concept Map of Course Objectives
Created by: Kimberly Lancaster, Coastal Carolina Community College
About the Series:
This instructional lesson is part of NC-NET's Creating Integrated Instruction series of faculty-developed integrated projects. Participating community college faculty developed classroom-ready materials that:
- Integrate career and technical content and academic concepts—reinforcing both
- Use real-world scenarios to engage students and make content relevant
- Foster critical thinking, collaboration, and other skills valued by employers
- Encourage instructors to use active, authentic assessment techniques
This project is designed to help students understand importance of all classes (especially social science and humanities courses) in the education process.
1–2 class sessions plus time outside of class to complete individual assignment (approximately 2–4 hours)
Appropriate Course(s) for Implementation:
- Social science and humanities courses (but would work with any course)
Files for Instructors:
The materials to implement this project are self-contained within a single Microsoft Word file.
>> Download "Why do I Need This Class?"